At 6 o’clock yesterday evening, a 101M green minibus from Sai Kung to Hang Hau was parked at the Wai Man Road terminus next to the swimming pool, ready to drop off and pick-up passengers. Suddenly, a lot of white smoke was seen coming from inside the bus.
video Headline News
Many queuing passengers and passers-by raised the alarm. Fire crews arrived quickly, and it took about 20 minutes for the fire to be out. Fortunately, there were no casualties in the incident, and the fire brigade is investigating the cause of the fire.
According to eyewitnesses, some passengers noticed smoke in the vehicle before it arrived at the terminus, so alerted the driver, who evacuated them immediately. Station staff \tried to douse the flames with fire extinguishers, but failed to stop the fire. The bus ended up as nothing more than scrap metal.
Some bus staff speculated that the minibus may have hit some rubbish in the road which caused overheating.
Senior Inspector Michael Lai had this to say about the incident to BUZZ:
“Actually the passengers were getting on board the minibus at the material
time but sparks came out from the bottom of the bus. Passengers were
evacuated with no person injured throughout the incident. Fire Service
Dept attended the scene and put out the fire with nothing suspicious found. It was
believed that the incident was due to overheating of vehicle parts.”